- An innovation hub, store and centre of excellence that showcases the best catering equipment, with a high tech demonstration kitchen, training and meeting facility coupled with an existing warehouse and distribution facility.
- Nisbets PLC’s commercial distribution operations were spread over three separate sites in Avonmouth. There was insufficient space for each operation within the existing warehouses, and a need for larger, more efficient goods-inwards facilities, more administrative space at HQ, and a more spacious, national trade counter and showroom with additional office floorspace.
- Partial demolition of the existing warehouse and replacement with a modern and dynamic design for a 21st century warehouse with a full height frontage housing an enlarged trade counter and showroom.
- New vehicular access and new car parking area.
- Demonstration that the trade counter showroom and office floorspace were subservient and therefore ancillary uses to the principal use of the warehouse.
- The planning process combined a pre app process and an EIA Request for Screening for partial demolition of the building, a full planning application, a Section 73 application and the management of the discharge of conditions.
The Planning Process
A rigorous pre app process was undertaken in conjunction with the EIA Request for Screening for demolition. This confirmed agreement for the partial demolition and recladding of the building, that it was not EIA development and agreement to the relocation and expansion of the trade counter from Nisbets HQ on Fourth Way. Working with a design team, led by WD Architects, the full application was supported by a comprehensive package of information that covered design, ecology and trees, sustainability, highways issues, flood risk and SUDs, acoustic attenuation and ground issues. A Section 73 permission was subsequently secured for a series of refinements to elements of the design and the materials palette and all conditions were formally discharged. The building is now complete, operational and has become a centre of excellence and a prominent, visual landmark in Avonmouth.